|Enlightenment and Empowerment Enterprise (EEE)
Mission: To provide a forum to communicate and exchange information for the purpose of cultivating, both professionally and personally, the knowledge and experiences of Horizon BCBSNJ’s employees of African ancestry and their community, as well as to add value to Horizon BCBSNJ in support of its corporate strategies and goals, while enhancing the image of the Company through a collaborative partnership of community service.
During 2017, the EEE accomplished the following:
||Participated in the Camden Street School Martin Luther King Jr. celebration in collaboration with Horizon NJ Health and Walgreens. EEE members read books to the children and helped with food distribution.
||EEE hosted the annual Black History Month celebration. The guest speaker was Dr. George C. Wright, President at Prairie View A & M University in Texas. At the luncheon, the group presented two laptops and a printer to FP YOUTHOUTCRY Foundation, Inc.’s founder, Mr. Al-Tariq Best. The Foundation offers assistance to the Newark community and surrounding areas by providing an afterschool haven for children, a summer camp during July and August and other events in connection with Jersey Cares, a nonprofit organization that recruits and engages volunteers across New Jersey.
||Participated in an Earth Day Celebration with the Ironbound Community Corporation at Downs Bottom Farms on Ferry Street in Newark, New Jersey.
|May – December
||Published EEE monthly newsletter series:
- May 2017: Tips for Career Improvement
- June 2017: In the Driver’s Seat: Personal and Professional Development
- July 2017: Developing Your Personal Brand
- August 2017: Leadership: Lead from Wherever You Are
- September 2017: Are You Financially Fit?
- October 2017: To Your Health: Breast Cancer Awareness and National Disability Employment Awareness Month
- November 2017: Maintain Don’t Gain
- December 2017: Holiday Theft: What’s In Your Wallet?
- Hosted a Tuition Reimbursement Lunch and Learn with James Lee, Manager, Compensation.
- Fifteen EEE members volunteered to participate in the Experience Makers Insight Panel to share their experiences as consumers wearing their “member hats.” As panelists, EEE members participated in focus groups, short surveys and/or brainstorming sessions to help shape business decisions that will impact Horizon BCBSNJ’s members.
||Hosted sessions of “Know The Business” – a Conversation Series with Horizon BCBSNJ Leaders:
- August – Vince Alonge, Vice President, Service: Overview of Member Services
- August – Sidney Holland, Director, Finance Discovery and Recovery: Financial Impact of Member Services
- November – Ed Lara, Vice President, Marketing and Product Development and Timothy Donald, Director, Analytics Business Partner: Part I: Analytics Partnership: MBU and Analytics
- November – Jeffrey Vernice, Director, Analytics Business Partner: Part II: Translating Data Science Modeling
||Hosted Lunch and Learn on “Steering Your Career” with Natalie Gahrmann, Career Development Consultant.
- Delivered opioid awareness sessions with the Kipp Newark Collegiate Academy. The team supported six sessions deployed over the course of two days.
- Conducted student/parent opioid awareness sessions at Christ the King High School on five dates in November and December.
- Hosted a Q&A session on opioids with the Marion P. Thomas Charter Schools, a charter program that consists of four different schools (high school, middle school, select and elementary).
- Engaged over 1,200 students, parents, and school faculty members in opioid awareness sessions throughout the city of Newark by December 31, 2017. This work will continue into 2018.